Smart Consumer: Five things you need to know before choosing what to buy
Published 23/09/2010 | 05:00
1. BOGOFs (buy one get one free) or 3-for-2 offers on big brands are there to make sure you keep buying the brand, rather than a cheaper version.
Think before you buy. Is it really better value to have three of something you mightn't even use?
2. Products on special offer are usually placed at the end of an aisle, where you can easily see them and are often separate from other similar products.
Check out the other similar products first, as you may find better value there.
3. Don't only look at products that are at your eye level. That is supermarket premium real estate, so look down or up to find the own brand and value products.
4. Why might you find garlic bread beside the lasagne? Because the association may just encourage you to buy both. Resist if you can.
5. Ever wonder why the eggs and milk are stuck in the store's Siberia? Walking multiple aisles to get to these staples means you're likely to buy more. Make a list and stick to it.