My side of the road
It is commonplace for motorists to moan about other motorists and cyclists. I regularly vent anger at the former but am always reluctant to do so about the latter because I would leave myself open to the accusation of bias.
Nonetheless I feel this week I just have to convey to you my absolute shock at the antics of the few (I stress it is a minority).
First off, cycle paths do not bestow freedom-of-city status on two wheels. Of course motorists must show due care -- but it works both ways, folks.
Some of the dangerous antics I've come across in the past week put the fear of God in me. Such as:
• A cyclist -- and he was no spring chicken -- criss-crossing the road right in front of me.
• Sweeping up the middle of a one-way street -- against the flow of traffic.
• Shooting out of a side-street, almost under my bonnet.
• Going diagonally across the street without as much as a hand signal.
• Several riding up a busy street -- again against the flow of traffic -- and forcing several cars to brake sharply.
I could go on. I won't. The point I would make is that we all need to show others a bit more respect.