How to Do a Smokey Eye
Published 06/12/2015 | 02:30
A step-by-step guide with Sascha Jackson, Stila Pro Artist.
1. Prime the eye with a creamy concealer to diminish any discolouration on the eyelid.
2. I always start my smokey eyes by lining the upper and lower lash line with Stila's smudge stick in stingray, €17.50, and then buffing the line to soften it. It's a super soft pencil so really easy to work with.
3. Apply a nude shade all across the eyelid and up to the brow bone, this will act as your base.
4. Use a slightly warmer shade across the lid and into the natural socket line of your eye, making sure to use a blending brush to soften the edges.
5. Apply the darker shade on the outer third of the eyelid and half-way into the crease and socket line. Again, you must blend and ensure the shadows diffuse together. Stila No 9 blending brush, €19.90, is perfect for this.
6. Always use a light beige/neutral tone for the inner corner and under the brow bone. This will open the eye out and keep the look clean.
7. I love using Stila's Eyes Are The Window palette, €39 for a smokey eye. You get a great range of neutrals from light beige right through to deep black. Perfect for any smokey eye. All the shades are matte which gives a fresher look. You can always add shimmer afterwards.
Smokey Eye Toolkit
1. Smudgestick Waterproof Eyeliner in Stingray, €17.50, Stila, available in selected department stores nationwide
Soft, smooth and creamy jet black eyeliner that lends itself beautifully to a smokey eye. Also, you can be sure it won't budge.
2. Naked Smokey, €46, Urban Decay, available in Debenhams stores nationwide
This gorgeous palette contains a dozen eyeshadows, some matte, some satin, some sparkly, in shades ranging from warm bronzes to rich browns to gorgeous taupes. The accompanying brush is great, too.
3. The Eye Collection in Sandstorm, €25, Fuschia, available in Scotch Hall Shopping Centre, Drogheda and Swords, Pavilion Shopping Centre, Swords, and fuschia.ie
This set contains five highly pigmented eye dusts in varying shades of neutral that will enliven any smokey eye look. Can be applied wet or dry depending on the desired impact.