The sailors' choice in Clontarf for €1.2m
142 Seafield Road East, D3 €1.2m
Published 03/07/2015 | 02:30
The Hibernian Marine School was established at Sir John Rogerson's Quay in 1766, to educate the sons of seafarers who had died or become disabled at sea. In 1904, the school moved to Clontarf, to a new premises at Seafield Road East.
Clontarf was a much less populous neighbourhood then; down the road from the school was an isolated handful of pretty red-brick houses, about 150 metres from the coast. In the 1970s, the Hibernian Marine School amalgamated with two other schools to form Mount Temple Comprehensive. By then, Seafield Road East had turned into a busy suburb, as the old Victorian enclave became surrounded by newer neighbours.
One of the original dwellings, Number 142 is much the same as it was in the days when the sons of luckless seafarers traipsed past - it has period features including original fireplaces and decorative plasterwork. It has also, however, been renovated and extended, and is now 2,356 sq ft in size. There are two linked reception rooms left of the entrance hall - a drawing room to the front, with a bay window and fireplace, and a dining room behind it, with a door to a side courtyard.
Towards the back of the house is the kitchen, which is open-plan to a living room extension where there are doors to the back garden. There's also a utility and guest toilet off the kitchen.
The first-floor return has one bedroom and a bathroom with stairs up to the master bedroom. There are three bedrooms on the first floor, while the second-floor return has the fifth bedroom, another bathroom, and stairs to the attic.
The back garden is 55ft long with a vehicle gate at the end. It's paved and also has a slightly raised deck. The railed front garden has a lawn and flower borders.
Savills North Dublin, (01) 853 0630, is the agent, and the asking price is €1.2m.