Autumn Cleaning: Top 10 uses for Baking Soda in your home
Published 02/09/2014 | 13:52
Here are our Domestic Diva top 10 uses that will leave the most surprising things clean and sparkling and smelling divine!
In a brand new RTE series Domestic Divas, Aisli Madden and Cat Lawlor give a master class in achieving domestic bliss.
They will give their top tips for the perfect home - a crisp clean bed, the smell of fresh laundry, a sparkling bathroom, a neat and tidy bedroom and a scrumptious hot meal on the table.
The two ladies are on a mission to help the helpless, to demonstrate basic life skills that came so naturally to our parents’ generation but not so easily to 20 to 30-somethings.
1. For a fresh smelling bin, sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of your bin and sprinkle some more into bin liner!! It’s also great for Deodorizing gym bags, runners and car boots!
2. No time to wash your dog before the guests arrive? Sprinkle your pooch’s fur with baking soda and brush out after 10 mins.
3. To clean carpets and rugs, sprinkle baking soda over your carpets using a sieve, leave for half an hour then hoover it up! Your room will be deodorized and your hoover will also get cleaned!
4. To clean your sink, add a cup of baking soda to any drain, let it sit for an hour. Flush with 2 cups of boiling vinegar, then rinse with litre of boiling water
5. If you run out of deodorant, simply apply a pinch of baking soda under dry arms to ensure you remain fresh and deodorized!
6. To clean jewellery, make a paste of 3 parts baking soda to one part water. Rub onto item, rinse with warm water and dry with a soft cloth.
7. To brighten and deodorize your laundry, just add a cup of baking soda to your wash. You can even remove grease stains by pre-treating area with a baking soda paste!
8. Obliterate scuff and crayon marks with a 50/50 paste of baking soda and water, gently rub into stain then wipe away.
9. To remove shampoo residue build-up and clarify your hair, add a tablespoon of baking soda to your shampoo and wash your hair as normal! It also increases volume and shine!
10. To clean tiles, sprinkle baking soda on grout, spray with water, leave for 10 minutes, then scrub off using an old toothbrush!
Domestic Divas starts tonight at 8.30pm on RTÉ One.