Take Four: Kilmurry, Cordal, Castleisland, Co Kerry
Four properties to get your teeth into
140-year-old former schoolhouse.
Built in 1871, Kilmurry schoolhouse was the centre of education for the children of Cordal and the area surrounding Castleisland for over a century, before it was closed in 1976.
The cut limestone property extends to 206sqm (2,220sq ft) in size and features architectural details such as gothic cut-stone window arches, reveals and cills. The original pine trusses and purlins are still intact and, while some work has been done to restore the building, more work is required.
The property was re-roofed in late 2009 as a conservation project part-funded and approved by the Heritage Council. The new roof consists of original slates from the school, mixed with matching salvage slates.
Many of the original pine rafters were retained and repaired with new matching treated timbers in line with conservation principles, while a breathable roof membrane with eaves venting was also installed. The front doors were replaced by new, heavy teak doors made to replicate the originals.
The period building would be an ideal project for a builder or DIY enthusiast. Inside, the property remains a shell.
The schoolhouse has a south-facing plot of ground to the rear, which could be landscaped as a garden or used for parking space for a business. There is a small additional plot of ground with frontage to the Shanowen river across the road available to buy as a separate parcel.
Enquiries to Galwey & Co Auctioneers on 066 7142955.