One of the oldest Victorian homes in Dublin 6 hits the market for €1.3m
A Victorian home for €1.3m is one of the area's oldest
Published 06/11/2015 | 02:30
Back in 1850 when Cara House was being completed at 76 Terenure Road East, the Dublin 6 village was known as Roundtown.
In the early 1800s, construction finished on a huge terrace of two storey stone cottages which ran around in a complete circle. This highly unusual development became the largest concentration of homes in the village and caused its name change.
The roundier moniker was all well and good until they started knocking down the very same circular residential hub - it was blocking the main route out of a city that was continuing to expand.
The village had reverted back to Terenure by the 1860s and has retained the name ever since. Today there's only a tiny chunk of Roundtown left - the inward-looking cut-stone house and a half which is located at the motor showroom site at the junction to Bushy Park and the KCR.
A spanking new Aldi outlet has just opened a few doors away from Cara House on the site of what once was the main reason for Terenure's rapid expansion.
This was the depot of the famous Terenure Tram service and it long marked the end of the line for Dubliners before the countryside began.
From 1888 until 1932, Terenure became a rural/city transport hub with a steam tram also operating from the village's second terminus (on Rathfarnham Road) running to Blessington in Wicklow and back again. Travellers to Dublin disembarked at Terenure to catch the connecting city tram and Dublin tourists heading out to the country stopped here while waiting for the steamer to Blessington.
Cara House was designed to appeal to a buyer from a wealthy commercial dynasty. The roll call of first owners along here reads like a who's who of big Dublin City retailers of old. The 'big' houses along this stretch were designed with servants in mind. Most had a maid's bedroom, a nursery and kitchens out of sight of the owners in the basement/garden level below where the servants worked.
Cara was acquired by its present owners 12 years ago to bring up a family and they invested a significant amount of cash restoring the property, reconfiguring it for modern living and adding a two storey maple-clad extension to the rear.
The timber sash windows are original and have been professionally restored. The 1850s wide beam boards in oak have been sanded down, treated and polished to provide a richly-coloured floor underfoot. The house contains two fireplaces, one of which is definitely original and features some very unusual and intricate inlay work in its iron insets.
There are some exquisitely fine plume pattern stucco ceiling roses above the main reception rooms. Spanning 2,550 sq ft, the house has automatic entrance gates, underfloor gas heating and power showers everywhere.
There's a reception hall, a front lounge, with the original grey marble chimney piece, a living room with a black marble version and a bathroom on the return with a Grohe shower.
Upstairs on the first floor are three bedrooms, including the master chamber with its own dressing room and bathroom (formerly a bedroom) and this has a stand alone clawfoot tub and another Grohe shower.
There's a very large attic here which has been floored in ply and would suit conversion for a range of uses. At garden level is the country-style kitchen with a marble worktop and sink island unit.
The bright open-plan space also includes the dining room with a modern conservatory.
There's a study and a fourth guest bedroom on this floor. Terenure/Rathgar is known for top restaurants, delicatessens and wine shops. And unlike in 1850, Terenure is today considered central, with the city centre 20 minutes away by bus.
76 Terenure Road East, Dublin 6
Asking price: €1.3m
Agent: DNG Terenure