Four on the market: Properties in Munster
A choice of four listed properties currently available to buy in Munster.
Barrow House, Barrow, Co Kerry
AMV €300k DNG Creedon (021) 489 7300
Irish-American Maureen Erde began running Barrow House as a guesthouse in the 1980s, and later recounted her adventures in 'Help! I'm an Irish Innkeeper' published in 1997. Barrow House sits on the water's edge at Barrow Harbour and has a private driveway by the sea. Built around 1750, it's been added to over the years, so that it now stands at 4,000 sq ft with two storeys over a raised basement and a converted attic. Inside there are eight bedrooms. It will be auctioned on March 16 at the Imperial Hotel in Cork.
Vigo Lodge, Kilnaboy, Co Clare
€199k DNG O’Sullivan Hurley (065) 6840200
Not far from Lake Inchiquin in Co Clare is Vigo Lodge, a thatched cottage built as a hunting lodge in the 1930s. It has period features, such as an oriel window in the hallway, original fireplaces and window shutters. There are three first-floor bedrooms and a fourth bedroom or office on the ground floor. Also downstairs is a dining room, kitchen and back kitchen, sitting room, and a sun porch in PVC. The floor area is 2,400 sq ft, while outside there are a couple of block-built sheds and landscaped gardens.
4 West View, Cobh, Co Cork
€135k English Auctioneers (021) 481 1494
West View is a terrace of 23 three-storey houses built around 1850 in what was then Queenstown. The town is now known as Cobh, and the terrace has become better known as the 'Deck of Cards'. Number 4 is towards the top of the hill, about 250m from the harbour, and 600m from the railway station, and across the street from a park. The ground floor has a sitting room, dining room, kitchenette and guest toilet. On the first floor there's a master bedroom and a bathroom, the second floor has two more bedrooms.
Former Convent, Pallas St, Borrisoleigh, Co Tipperary
€195k Rooney (061) 413511
Although it's described as dating from 1880, the old convent in Borrisoleigh is conspicuously absent from the second-edition Ordnance Survey Map, published in 1904. It was one of several properties sold by the Sisters of Mercy, and fetched €435,645 in 2001, according to local reports. The property consists of the 4,163 sq ft main building, with seven bedrooms and four reception rooms, and a chapel. There's also a 1,769 sq ft single-storey building on the grounds with four rooms. The grounds come to two acres.