Four of a kind in Tipperary
Published 25/09/2016 | 02:30
Sunday Independent Property pitches four similar properties against one another
A 16th-Century tower house is the centrepiece of this unusual property in Templemore, which has been a 30-year restoration project for its current owners. Castle House is a fine example of what can be achieved by incorporating a historical structure into the fabric of a modern home, while still retaining the traditional features.
The old and new elements of the house are now fused in one unique property.
The village of Killea is located in the beautiful rolling countryside of mid-Tipperary overlooked by the Devil's Bit Mountain, and Castle House was at one time operated as a small guest house.
A curving driveway approaches the house from the south and the gardens are delightful. A stone and gravel courtyard lies to the rear and there is a detached garage. The original 16th-Century tower house contains a store on the ground floor and a wooden staircase leads to the parapets. It is flanked on one side by an older traditional wing containing a kitchen, utility room, bedroom and bathroom at ground floor level. Overhead there is a galleried landing and large bedroom with its own en suite bathroom.
To the other side of the tower house is a dining room and sitting room with mezzanine library on the ground floor and a bedroom overhead. A newer wing contains, at ground floor level, a separate entrance hall, sitting room and a large kitchen/living room. A step-down reception area has a vaulted ceiling and stone fireplace, while a steel spiral staircase leads to the master bedroom, a luxuriously tiled bathroom and separate reading room.
The selling agents say that the property is in excellent structural and decorative order and could be used as a retreat, guest house or equestrian centre. The furnishings are available by separate negotiation.
In total, Castle House comes with 7.27 acres of land, between the immediate gardens and the large field to the east of the house. There is ample parking for several cars.
Agent: Sherry FitzGerald Gleeson (0504) 22997
Ballintoher House near Nenagh was built in 1890 and extended in 1910. It is a substantial six-bedroom family home in excellent condition that has been restored by the current owners over the past 30 years. Entered through the original double entrance gates, the grounds are mainly in lawn with specimen trees and mature planting. There's also a fenced paddock, presently in grass, and an orchard with fruit trees. There is an easy flow to the rooms and an abundance of period features including high ceilings, wooden floorboards, marble fireplaces and floor-to-ceiling bay windows.
Agent: Ganly Walters (01) 662 3255
Situated a couple of kilometres from the eco-village of Cloughjordan, in Brickanagh, this contemporary four-bedroom bungalow sits on a half-acre site in a scenic rural location. The house is in turn-key condition with a fitted kitchen in oak with granite worktops. The en suite master bedroom with fitted wardrobes is at ground-floor level. There are landscaped gardens to the front and rear and a detached garage. The eco-village hosts regular courses and the village of Cloughjordan itself is welcoming, with plenty going on including a fortnightly market. The village has two national schools and a train station.
Agent: REA Eoin Dillon (067) 33468
Glenbarrow is located on Mitchell Street in the heart of Tipperary town. It's a period property of immense character in a great location, close to the shops, cinema, churches and a host of other amenities. There's 245sqm of living space, with five bedrooms and three bathrooms and rear access with a parking space for one car. These days Tipperary has a large commuter population as it lies within easy reach of all major Irish cities, ports and airports by road, bus and rail. Architecturally, the town has some magnificent 19th Century buildings and a fine collection of well-kept shop fronts.
Agent: Sherry FitzGerald Ryan (062) 51566