Probe starts into child's E.coli death
An investigation has begun after a three-year-old girl died during an E.coli outbreak linked to a brand of blue cheese.
The child, who died on September 2, was among 20 confirmed cases of infection with E.coli 0157.
Authorities looking into the outbreak found those affected had consumed Dunsyre Blue, made by Lanarkshire-based Errington Cheese, before they became unwell.
A Crown Office spokesman said: "The Procurator Fiscal has received a report in connection with the death of a three-year-old girl in Dunbartonshire on 2 September 2016.
"The investigation into the death, under the direction of Scottish Fatalities Investigation Unit (SFIU), is ongoing and the family will continue to be kept updated in relation to any significant developments."
All confirmed cases became unwell before the end of July. Of the 20 cases identified, 11 required hospital treatment.
In July, two batches of Dunsyre Blue were voluntarily recalled and earlier this week a third was taken off the market as a "precautionary" measure.
Errington Cheese has maintained there is no conclusive evidence linking its products to the outbreak.
E.coli O157 infection can occur after eating food or drinking water that is contaminated with the faeces from infected animals, or from contact with animals or their environments.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie