Little changes yield big results
Summer is often a good time to switch to healthier foods - and it's easier than you think.
Making small changes to your diet is the healthiest and most achievable way to lose weight.
Here are some swaps suggestions:
* whole milk to semi-skimmed, 1pc fat or even skimmed milk;
* sugar-coated breakfast cereal for a whole grain breakfast cereal such as porridge or shredded whole grain wheat cereal with no added sugar;
* a sprinkle of sugar on your breakfast cereal for a topping of fresh or dried fruit, which counts towards one of your five a day;
* full-fat Greek yoghurt for lower fat or fat free Greek yoghurt, or natural low-fat yoghurt;
* white breads, bagels and muffins for whole grain varieties.
* butter and cheese in your jacket potato for reduced fat spread and reduced salt and sugar baked beans;
* a cheddar cheese filling in your sandwich for reduced-fat hard cheese;
* a coffee made with whole milk to a 'skinny' coffee made with semi-skimmed or skimmed milk;
* sugary drinks for a glass of water;
* salted nuts for unsalted nuts;
* the frying pan for the grill when cooking meat.
Health & Living
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie