I love seeing people of all abilities taking part as it shows fitness is for everyone
Fit Foodie Derval O'Rourke ran her first 5k race on Saturday
Last Saturday I ran my first 5km race at the SPAR Fitlive event in the Phoenix Park in Dublin. I really enjoyed it and it was brilliant to see so many people there. I spent the entire race chatting to people and then cheered so many people through the line.
Events like these are great because the focus is on participation and fun. I love seeing people of all ages and abilities taking part as it really shows that fitness is for everyone.
I'll be honest - I have a soft spot for anyone running with their buggy or with kids. Fair play!
Health is so incredibly important and to see thousands of people making a conscious effort to be healthy by getting out and running is really fantastic.
Hopefully you will take part in lots more races. Here are my top post-race tips:
1) Refuel: Aim to get in a meal or snack with a source of protein and carbs fast after a race.
2) Rehydrate: Especially with the hot weather. Water is best here!
3) Get good sleep: Aim for eight hours each night to let your body repair and recover.
4) Stretch and soak: Gentle stretching can help prevent muscle soreness. An Epsom salt bath is a great idea as the magnesium helps relax the muscles and calm the mind.
5) Reflect and reset: What went well? What could you improve on? What were your highlights?
Finally... set a new goal. Hope to see lots of you at the next SPAR Fitlive event in Cork.
Health & Living