How to mind your medicine
Published 23/06/2015 | 02:30
TEN complaints were made against pharmacists last year for drug-dispensing errors.
Overall, 51 formal complaints were received by their regulator, the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland.
Just over half of the complaints received were from members of the public.
The highest number related to behaviour, and professionalism issues followed .
Some 19 complaints were the subject of a full fitness to practise inquiry where the allegations were put to the pharmacist before a panel.
Tips on safe dispensing include:
* Never "second guess" illegible and/or ambiguous prescriptions
* Beware of look-alike, sound-alike drugs
* Be careful with misplaced zeros and decimal points
* Organise the workplace with proper lighting, adequate counter space, and comfortable temperature and humidity
* Reduce distraction - multitasking is a leading cause of dispensing errors
* Take the time to store drugs properly.
Health & Living