Whatever you do, don't cut out too many calories
Published 22/08/2014 | 02:30
Day 18 of the 100 fit days revolution. When you cut out too many calories of your daily diet, your body goes into what I call starvation mode.
This is activated when you don't feed your body the right amount of nutrients, so it blocks itself from using any more of them by slowing down your metabolism. It causes what is now termed 'Metabolic Damage' - where your body slows down its natural mechanisms and digestion, energy levels and mood are all affected. This damage can take twice the amount of time to fix compared to the time spent on a too-low-calorie diet.
Increase calories from good fresh sources like lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, and reduce the calories from processed packaged sources. Try this healthy meal below - it makes a great lunch or dinner.
Halibut with Dijon and Almonds (Makes two servings)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 lb halibut or other white fish
• 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tbsp almonds, sliced and toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
3. Lay fish in the pan, skin side down.
4. Season fish with salt and pepper and then coat with the Dijon mustard.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
6. Sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds.
Grapefruit, Goat Cheese & Avocado Salad (Makes 4 servings)
• 1 bunch flowering kale, de-stemmed and cut into chunks
• 1 bunch endive
• 1 red grapefruit
• 1 yellow grapefruit
• 1 avocado
• 3 tbsp creamy goat cheese
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 1/4 of a cup grapefruit juice
• 1 tsp poppy seeds
1. Place the kale and endive in a bowl. Peel and slice the grapefruits and add to the bowl, reserving a 1/4 of a cup of juice. Chop the avocado and add to the bowl.
2. Add the goat cheese in small dollops.
3. In a small cup mix the grapefruit juice, olive oil and poppy seeds. Drizzle on the salad.
Gregg Marsh is a weight-loss coach and runs Synergise Fitness in Sandyford, Dublin 1. To get a free copy of Gregg's Synergise 14 Day Fat Loss Furnace Recipe Book, visit www.synergise.ie
100 FIT days is a day-by-day exercise and nutrition programme that will get you in the best shape of your life. You don't need a gym membership or any other equipment other than a stopwatch and the Irish Independent's FIT magazine every Monday.
To sign up for daily 100 FIT Days updates visit www.independent.ie/100fitsignup-Magazine every Monday.
Irish IndependentFollow @Indo_Life