Plan your food prep to stay on track
Published 14/08/2014 | 00:00
Plan ahead with food prep days each week. We are all so busy that trying to prepare food in the evening after a hard day at work is very challenging. So I suggest that you pick two times that suit you to prepare food in advance. It might be a Sunday morning and a Wednesday night, for example. Here are some recipes from my book 14 Day Fat Loss Furnace Recipe Book.
- Gregg Marsh
Tex-Mex Breakfast Scramble (makes 2 servings)
l 4 eggs
l tsp cumin
l tsp chilli powder (or ground chipotle)
l tsp sea salt (optional)
l 1 tbsp water
l red onion, diced
l 1 green bell pepper, diced
l 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
l 12 oz chicken breasts, grilled and chopped (use leftovers)
l 1 medium tomato, diced l cup fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat coconut oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat.
2. Scramble eggs in a bowl. Add cumin, chili powder, sea salt, and water.
3. Add onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno to the hot pan. Sautee for three-five minutes, or until slightly softened.
4. Add eggs and chicken, and cook while continuously stirring until eggs are light and fluffy.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes, and top with fresh coriander to serve.
Balsamic Asparagus and Steak Salad (makes 2 servings)
l 1 lb Sirloin steak
l 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and peeled
l 1 tbsp red onion, minced
l 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
l 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
l 1 clove garlic, minced
l sea salt, to taste (optional)
l freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a medium pot of water to boil.
2. Add asparagus and boil for three minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water immediately. Dry thoroughly.
3. Heat a grill until hot. Cut Sirloin into four steaks. Trim away excess fat if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Place on grill.
4. Grill for four to five minutes per side. Leave medium rare to rare.
5. Once cooked, set aside and let rest about 10 minutes. Then cut each piece into strips.
6. Mix all other ingredients together. Toss asparagus with balsamic mixture. Top with steak slices.
7. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Gregg Marsh is a weight-loss coach and runs Synergise Fitness in Sandyford, Dublin 1.
To get a free copy of Gregg's Synergise 14 Day Fat Loss Furnace Recipe Book, visit
100 FIT days is a day-by-day exercise and nutrition programme that will get you in the best shape of your life. You don't need a gym membership or any other equipment other than a stopwatch and the Irish Independent's FIT magazine every Monday. To sign up for daily 100 FIT Days updates visit www.independent.ie/100fitsignupp
Irish IndependentFollow @Indo_Life