Nutritionist behind Sam Smith’s incredible weight loss shares her top tips for a healthy lifestyle
Published 01/07/2015 | 15:07
Nutritional therapist Amelia Freer has been helping people regain control of their health and lifestyle for almost a decade - and thanks to Sam Smith's recent physical transformation, she is more in demand than ever.
The healthy eating expert specialises in helping clients detox their system in order to kickstart a new regime.
Amelia recently published her own nutritional bible 'Eat. Nourish. Glow', a comprehensive manuscript full of recipes, easy to follow diet principles and insightful information about how to take a holistic approach to health.
After years spent in a stressful work environment and suffering from fatigue and ill health, Amelia made the decision to enroll in a four year course at the Institution of Optimum Nutrition.
Working in a practise in Notting Hill, she was inundated with clients. However, her profile received a major boost when singer Sam Smith enlisted her help to lose weight.
The 38-year-old coached the Stay With Me singer and educated him about a healthy lifestyle and how to make better choices.
Her book is very much based on these principles, including some of the following golden rules:
1. Ban breakfast cereals, margarine, biscuits, cakes, sweets, yogurts, grains, salad dressings, and table salt.
2. Replace the above with fish, meat, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, coconut milk, quinoa, and brown rice.
3. Eat broccoli, coconut oil, cauliflower and avocados every day.
4. Invest in good quality kitchen equipment such as knives, a blender, cold press juicer, microplane grater and spiraliser.
5. Leave five hours between meals:"Continually eating will stimulate the production of insulin, an inflammatory hormone that puts the body into fat-storage mode," she explains
6. Drink no more than two cups of coffee a day. Have rooibos, green and chai tea in lieu of regular tea.
7. You can have alcohol in moderation, but stick with tequila, vodka with soda water, or a glass of red wine.
8. Prepare all your food from scratch.
9. Plan your treats in advance.
10. Don't rush your meals; enjoy your food. Eating on the go, at a desk, or while running out the door will result in bloating and indigestion
Amelia was in Brown Thomas Dublin for a series of demonstrations with Vitamix.
The Vitamix S30 is currently available in Brown Thomas for €500, and Amelia's best selling book 'Eat, Nourish, Glow' is available in store for €24.