Friday 9 December 2016

Girl (9) left with iPhone-shaped scar for life after 'toxic' glitter leaks from phone case

Published 13/01/2016 | 12:35

Olivia Retter was scarred on her leg when her mobile phone case became cracked and a “toxic
Olivia Retter was scarred on her leg when her mobile phone case became cracked and a “toxic" pink glitter leaked onto her skin. Photo: Facebook/ Karly Retter
The iPhone-shaped scar. Photo: Facebook/ Karly Retter

A nine-year-old girl has been scarred for life by an acid burn caused by her mobile phone case.

  • Go To

Olivia Retter was scarred on her leg when her mobile phone case became cracked and a “toxic" pink glitter leaked onto her skin while she was in bed.

The schoolgirl has been left with a burn mark in the same shape as her iPhone 5c.

Olivia bought the phone case – adorned with unicorns and rainbows - from a New Look store in Cambridge in Britain.

Her mother Karly posted a warning on Facebook and urged people to be careful when buying these covers.

Mrs Retter said there was no visible crack on the phone cover when the leak occurred.

Please share this as much as possible this case is full of acid and if it cracks it will cause 3rd-2nd degree burns this...

Posted by Karly Retter on Friday, 8 January 2016

She said: "Olivia is not supposed to have her phone in her bedroom at night, but she sneaked it in and had it in her bed, so she fell asleep with it touching her leg.”

"She woke up in the middle of the night and came into my room and said her leg was hurting - I just thought she was being silly and sent her back to bed,” she told the Telegraph newspaper.

"Then in the morning I saw this awful burn on her leg - I was so shocked a phone case could do that. Doctors have said it is a severe chemical burn and she will be scarred for life. I can't believe it - she will have a scar in the shape of a phone on her leg."

Mrs Retter added: "There wasn't a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself - nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns.

"Imagine if it had leaked when Olivia was on the phone or holding it to her face - it could have gone on her face or her eyes.

"You just don't think something like that could happen. A lot of young girls have similar phone cases and they have no idea how dangerous they are.

A New Look spokesman told the Telegraph newspaper: "New Look has spoken with the customer involved and takes complaints of this nature extremely seriously.

"In line with our health and safety procedure, we have now instructed all stores to remove the product in question from the shop floor with immediate effect.”

"Our quality team have also begun an investigation with the supplier to understand and prevent this from happening in the future."

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Life