Former Vogue Model loses a leg in illness caused by tampon
Published 19/06/2015 | 10:50
A former model who once graced the cover of Italian Vogue is suing sanitary hygiene company Kotex after she lost a leg as a result of an illness developed from a tampon.
Lauren Wasser had her leg amputated below the knee after she fell seriously ill with Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) three years ago.
TSS is a rare life-threatening complication related to bacterial infections which can cause the body’s organs to shut down and is often linked to the use of tampons.
Three years ago the model was rushed to hospital after collapsing with a high fever. On arrival her major organs began to fail and she suffered a heart attack. Ms. Wasser’s leg became infected and was amputated from the knee down.
Ms Wasser has taken action against Kotex and says that their advice and warnings about Toxic Shock Syndrome are not clear enough.
“Everything I had was based on looks,” she told Vice magazine.
“I was that girl and I didn’t even think about it.”
"I wanted to kill myself when I got home," she says.
"I was this girl—and then all of a sudden I don't have a leg, I'm in a wheelchair, I have half a foot, I can't even walk to the bathroom. I'm in a bed, I can't move, and I felt like those four walls were my prison."
The model revealed that she used Kotex Natural Balance as per the products instructions to change “every four to eight hours”.
“You know cigarettes can kill you, so when you use them it’s your choice. Had I known all the info about TSS I would never have used tampons,” she said.
Only one person in a thousand fall ill with Toxic Shock Syndrome as a result of using tampons.