Beware of risky henna tattoos, experts warn revellers and holidaymakers
Published 17/05/2016 | 02:30
Doctors have warned that black henna tattoos should be avoided, especially during foreign travel, after treating a 10-year-old boy for an allergic reaction to a tattoo painted on his arm while on holiday abroad.
The young boy had redness, itching, and small inflammatory irritated spots on his partially crusted skin lesion, which followed the outline of the tattoo on his right upper arm. The surrounding skin was red, hot and painful to touch.
The rash had started four days after application of a temporary black henna tattoo while he was on holiday in Spain. It is believed that the reaction was caused by paraphenylenediamine (PPD), a textile dye that is commonly added to henna to blacken the pigment and speed up drying time. The combination together is called black henna.
The temporary tattoos are popular with holidaymakers, partygoers and festival revellers however, they contain phenylenediamine which is often found in hair dyes and can cause an allergic reaction.
Health & Living