Staying in TIP-TOP condition
Keeping fit is tough, but simple pointers will get more from your workout
Published 28/04/2015 | 02:30
There may be no quick solution or magic pill to get you in the shape you want, and getting in great condition definitely takes effort, time and consistency. But make sure you are making it as easy on yourself as possible by checking out some of these top tips, which should make controlling your food and working out easier and more effective.
1. Get your water in: So many people don't drink enough water, and one of the things that many of us often do is mistake thirst for hunger. I fill up my water bottle several times throughout the day to make sure I'm drinking enough. This is a very simple, yet effective, way of measuring how much you drink.
2. Boredom leads to eating: There's nothing surer than that the mind tends to wander to food as soon as you relax or get bored.
3. Use a cut-off time for food: Decide on a strict cut-off time for food, so that even if you are relaxing and watching a movie, you will not be tempted to get up for that slice of toast.
4.Try to get 8 hours' uninterrupted sleep: Lack of this can cause hormonal changes and affect your metabolism, making you more hungry.
5. Plan out your meals: Decide on five breakfast, lunch and dinner options, with two snacks, and stick to them during the week.
6. Never eat in front of the TV or while doing something: Simply allow your brain to focus on the fact that you are eating.
7. Read: Reading articles will not just build your knowledge but will also help keep you focused on your training and food.
8. Track your regime: Keep an eye on your food and workouts and plan ahead.
9. Rope in a friend: If you struggle with the gym, try going with a friend.
10. Reflect daily: Reflect on what your day was like in terms of time management, food and training, and use this to construct a better and more focused day.
These are great for the quads. Don’t forget to control the movement to avoid bouncing, which puts pressure on your joints.
1/ Stand upright with your arms in front at shoulder height.
2/ Lower your body toward the ground, keeping your back straight but coming on to your toes and lowering your hands to the sides of the feet. Return to start position and repeat.
1/ Start on your toes and hands with your arms straight, back flat and your feet together.
2/ Jump your feet out to the sides without moving your hand position. Immediately jump back to the middle and repeat. Keep your back flat throughout.
Single Leg Hip extension
1/ Start by lying mid-back on a step or on the floor, with your knees bent and your hands by your side.
2/ Raise one leg slightly off the ground and bridge your hips so your hips and glutes are elevated off the ground. Dip your hips down toward the ground, then push back up to bridged position.
1/ Support your body by leaning on your side, on your elbow, and on the side of your foot, with the opposite foot sitting on top.
2/ Keep your body straight and hold the position. Try to hold for at least 15-20 seconds, all while trying to keep your form perfect.
Health & Living