8 reasons resistance training is the best thing you can do for your body
Published 10/06/2014 | 02:30
Resistance training is unquestionably the best training that you can do. It will deliver more benefits than any other style of training, in every way.
From mental to physical benefits and everything else, resistance work is where it's at. Yet so many people are scared of it. Firstly you need to remember that it will not make you bigger. Resistance work will increase the lean muscle tissue on your body and help to reduce your body fat level.
It will give you tone and shape so that you not only look good, you feel good too. Here are some other reasons why you should use weights:
– Speeds up your metabolism: Your metabolism is your body's in-built rev counter, the higher it is, the more calories you burn on a daily basis. As you age it slows down unless you workout more and eat better.
– Builds bone density: Your bones will weaken as you age. By eating poorly and not exercising they will get even weaker, becoming a problem in old age. By lifting weights, you are adding strength to them and slowing down the ageing process.
– Helps to smooth/reduce cellulite: Cellulite is the bane of women and sometimes men too, as the fat and toxins store around the body. Cleaning up your diet and deep tissue massage will make a huge difference, but weight training will make the most visual difference as you get your shape back into those areas and decrease your body fat.
– Decrease dress size: It is great to measure your progress by weight and inches, but what better way than reducing your dress or suit size. Lean tissue takes up less space on the body than fat does, so by working out with weights you will drop those clothes sizes quicker than just doing any other training, especially if you combine them all together
– Increases strength: Being strong is in fashion at the moment, but it's also essential for life. The stronger you are, you will reduce your chance of injury, which is incredibly important as you age.
– Increases energy: In order to get more energy into your day, you have to move more and push your body.
The hormones released when you exercise will help to give you more energy, feel better and work better during the day.
– Improves your posture: Our postures are getting worse due to the fact we sit and slouch all day, hence the muscles that help your posture don't get worked and become weaker.
You need to do resistance work to strengthen these muscles back up, helping to relieve back pain. It will also give you a flatter stomach due to the fact that the body straightens up.
– Reduces stress: By focusing on a resistance programme, you forget about your day.
You work out the stresses and strains of the day that put you in bad form and upset you, leaving the session feeling healthy, happy and chilled.
Don’t forget to pick up FIT Magazine every Monday with the Irish Independent. And you can now join in online at www.FITMagazine.ie for all the tips, race reports, advice and stories from the fitness world.
And join us for the FIT Magazine City Series 5k/10k down in Cork on Sunday July 13th. Great prizes, goodie bags and all levels welcome. Sign up here
Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Health & LivingFollow @Indo_Life