Forkful's speedy suppers: Sticky drumsticks and avocado noodle salad
Published 26/11/2015 | 02:30
This week, I'm carrying on with my recent preference for Asian-influenced flavours. My kitchen's stocks of soy sauce, limes and black sesame seeds have been seriously depleted as I have continued to crave umami-rich flavours spiked with a healthy dose of acidic citrus fruit as the weather gets colder.
This week, I'm presenting two comforting recipes. The first is a sticky chicken drumstick recipe that is a cinch to put together.
The second is a simple noodle salad dressed with soy sauce, ginger and lime.
Sticky soy and honey drumsticks
Prep Time: 45 mins (includes marinating chicken)
Cooking Time: 45 mins
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
4 tablespoons of honey
3 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
Juice of 1 lemon
4 cloves of garlic, finely grated
1 tablespoon of finely grated ginger
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
1 tablespoon of salt
8 chicken drumsticks
1. Mix together the soy sauce, honey, toasted sesame oil, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, paprika, chilli flakes and salt.
2. Put the chicken in a baking tray. Pour over the marinade. Leave for 30 minutes to marinade.
3. Heat the oven to 180c/160c fan/gas mark 4. Cover the chicken with tin foil and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, take away the foil and turn the chicken over. Cook, uncovered for another 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Serve with lime wedges and fresh coriander and a green salad or Asian-style slaw on the side.
Avocado noodle salad
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 5 mins
150g of dried noodles
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 clove of garlic grated
Juice of half a lime
Black sesame seeds (optional)
1. Make the noodles according to the packet's instructions. Drain and allow to cool completely.
2. For the dressing, mix together the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, grated ginger, grated garlic, and the juice of half a lime. Pour the dressing into the noodles and mix well.
3. Slice the avocado. De-seed and slice the chilli. Slice spring onions.
4. Serve the noodles topped with avocado, chilli and spring onions. Serve with a fresh lime wedge, fresh coriander and black sesame seeds (if you have them).
This week's storecupboard essential:
Balsamic Vinegar: Whether it's for caramelising onions or for making a killer salad dressing, you should always have a good bottle of balsamic in your storecupboard. Look out for Llewellyn's Irish Balsamic Cider Vinegar (llewellynsorchard.ie), made in Lusk, Co Dublin.
Photos: Mark Duggan