Cherry & Chocolate Semifreddo
Semifreddo has a frothy texture, like a frozen mousse. This is a time-consuming recipe (it must be frozen overnight) but it isn't difficult.
1kg of cherries
400ml double cream
100g icing sugar
1 teaspoon of almond extract
50g of dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
Ice cream wafers
1. Wash, halve and stone your cherries.
2. Set aside 50g of cherries and put the rest in a large saucepan. Pour in the cream and add 50g of the icing sugar. Bring to a boil and then gently simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Use a blender to blitz the cherry cream until very smooth. Sieve the mixture, discarding the leftover pulp. Put the cherry cream back into the saucepan over a low heat.
4. Separate the eggs. Pour a little of the hot cherry cream over the yolks, whisk, then pour the yolks into the cherry cream.
5. Add the almond extract, whisk well and gently simmer for another 5 minutes, until the cream has thickened. Sieve the cream again and set aside to cool. Then, add the chocolate.
6. Using an electric whisk, beat your egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Whisk the other 50g of icing sugar into the egg whites, one tablespoon at a time.
7. Stir a third of the egg whites into the cream mixture, folding gently. In two more batches, add the rest of the egg whites to the cream and fold until everything is well combined.
8. Line a 900g loaf tin with clingfilm and pour the mixture into the tin. Cover with clingfilm and freeze for 3 hours, then stir the last 50g of cherries in before freezing for at least 8 hours.
9. Serve your cherry & chocolate semifreddo cut in slices and sandwiched between wafers.
First published in INSIDER Magazine, exclusive to Thursday's Irish Independent