How to cook the perfect egg? Steam it - don't boil it
Published 09/10/2015 | 10:10
For many, it's the perfect breakfast. A boiled egg, a few slices of buttery toast, and a cup of tea.
But cooking the humble egg can be a conundrum for many home cooks. How do you cook it perfectly?
According to New York food blogger Alexis Kornblum, steaming is the way to go.
The food writer says steaming an egg ensures it cooks evenly.
On her blog Lexi’s Clean Kitchen, she gives six steps to cook the perfect egg.
1. Pour one inch of water into your saucepan
2. Place a steamer insert into the pot
3. Cover and bring the water to the boil
4. Add eggs into the steamer, cover, and cook for six minutes for a soft-boiled egg, or 11 minutes for a hard-boiled egg
5. Remove eggs and place in a bowl of ice-cold water. (This ensures they peel easily)
For world egg day, go on, give steaming a try. The universal healthy favourite is packed with protein, and eggs contain substantial amounts of vitamins A, B, D and E, and minerals.