Dead rodent found in Subway sandwich
One diner got an unwelcome surprise when he looked at the sandwich he'd just bought.
Matt Jones was shocked to find a dead rodent in his friend's sandwich as they ate at a Subway in Lincoln City, Oregon.
Jay ordered an Italian Sub from the restaurant, but soon realised he'd gotten more than he'd bargained for.
“It’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen, but it’s also the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen,” Mr. Jones told KGW, “I laughed because I was like, there is no way this just happened.”
Health officials said the risk of anyone becoming ill from eating spinach which may have come into contact with the rat.
“They [health inspectors] consulted with physicians and we followed their advice that, although it is not very appetising, the risk of someone becoming sick due to eating lettuce with those particular circumstances were very low, Cheryl Connell, Director Of Lincoln County Health and Human Services," told the news site.
County health department officials arrived to inspect the restaurant afterwards.
“The investigation determined that the rodent problem did not come from inside the facility. It was probably in a bag of the bagged spinach product, not from the facility itself,” Connell said. “Everything was sanitised and cleaned properly afterwards.”
The two diners received an apology from Subway and a full refund. Matt Jones says he has also complained to Subway Headquarters to prevent such an event happening again.