Crunchy Crudités Platter
* 8 baby carrots, peeled
* 2 heads of baby cos lettuce, broken into separate leaves
* 1 red pepper, sliced
* 1 cucumber, sliced into sticks
* 150g sugar snap peas or mangetout
* 150g baby corn
* Other vegetables to choose from: celery sticks, broccoli florets, cherry tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, crushed
250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
3 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
3 tbsp plain yogurt
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs like chives or flat-leaf parsley
4 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Mix together all the dressing ingredients and season to taste. I like mine quite tart, so add a little more vinegar if you prefer. Cover and chill while you prep the vegetables.
* Sugar snap peas, mangetout and broccoli benefit from being lightly steamed for three minutes, then plunged into ice water to refresh.
* Remove the tough fibres of celery stalks by starting from one end of the celery, grabbing the strings and pulling down the lengths. Chop into long pieces.
* Prepare all the other vegetables by washing them, peeling where necessary and cutting into manageable pieces for dipping.
Ish Factor: White wine vinegar is another Pantry Pal that's essential for salad dressings, pickling and even some desserts. Malt vinegar is very harsh and is really only for chips! White wine vinegar has a milder, more neutral taste and will give your dressings and recipes the right amount of acidic flavour without other strong flavours, like a balsamic vinegar would.