Thursday 27 October 2016

‘I thought I was going to die’: Schoolgirl was in "severe distress" after eating Doritos Roulette

Published 17/07/2015 | 12:01

A British school girl has admitted that she feared she was “going to die” after eating a crisp 10 times more spicy than the average jalapeno.

  • Go To

Beth Laybourn (14) experienced breathing difficulties after eating Doritos Roulettes, which contain a handful of super spicy crisps in each packet.

The fourteen-year-old was in “severe distress” after ingesting the product and George Pindar School in Scarborough have since banned the product.

Beth, who is an asthmatic, was playing Russian roulette type game with her friend and brother when she ate the crisp which caused her respiratory distress.

"At first it wasn't that hot. We carried on going round and I started sweating and a moment later I felt my throat burning,” Beth told The Sun.

"I started retching and ran to the toilet and was sick. I had four mugs of milk and my throat still wouldn't stop burning. I couldn't breathe properly and I really thought I was going to die.

"I kept thinking that if it leads to a full-blown asthma attack I could die."

The teenager suffered a severe asthma attack one week later at school, which prompted the school to issue a warning to parents.

The letter read: "Parents and carers, please be aware that the new Doritos Roulette crisps are not recommended for children.

"The crisps contain extra hot chips and it has come to our attention that they can cause severe distress, particularly to those with sensitivities, allergies or breathing problems."

The new product by Dorito was released in April and is available in Irish shops.

Speaking yesterday, a spokesperson from Doritos said: “We were sorry to hear about what happened.

"We do warn people to expect a seriously spicy experience with Doritos Roulette and we make this clear on the pack and in our adverts.

"The front of the pack states “Warning: Some of these chips are ultra spicy”, while we also say that Doritos Roulette are not recommended for young children”.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Life