Self-care for parents
The Barnardos publication Parenting positively: teenage wellbeing for parents of teenagers states that understanding teenage development goes a long way in helping parents cope with the ups and downs of parenting teenagers.
It advises the following:
- Take time out for yourself to do things you have always enjoyed such as reading, visiting friends, exercising
- Talk to friends who have teenagers to get their perspective. Talking to the parents of your teenager's friends may be helpful in terms of information sharing and mutual support
- Try to lighten up and bring a bit of humour to the job
- See if there is a parenting course in your area
- Seek out help for yourself in other areas of your life such as with relationship, budgeting, housing, bereavement and bullying.
Mother & Babies