Neven Maguire Recipes for Weaning
Published 02/04/2014 | 14:16
This is a fantastic recipe for breakfast, lunch or even supper and is so quick to prepare and cook. Avoid overcooking the eggs by stirring constantly with a balloon whisk and remember to keep pulling the mixture away from the sides.
Scrambled eggs with cheese and tomatoes
• 6 eggs
• 3 tbsp milk
• 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
• 40g (1½oz) butter
• 2oz Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
• 4x Grilled Vine Tomatoes
• 4 slices multi-grain bread
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Fresh long chives, to garnish (optional)
Preheat the grill. Whisk together the eggs, milk, chives and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Heat a knob of the butter in a non-stick frying pan until foaming. Add the egg mixture and whisk continuously for 2-3 minutes, until just set but still soft. Remove from the heat, as they will continue to cook, and gently stir in the grated cheddar. Meanwhile, toast the bread on a grill rack, then spread each piece of toast with the remaining butter and cut into triangles. Arrange two of the toasted bread triangles on each warmed plate and top each one with the scrambled egg serve with the grilled vine tomatoes.
Herb crusted cod fillets with butternut squash
• 50g butter
• 8 slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed (1 day old)
• 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mixed herbs (such as parsley and chives)
• Finely grated rind of 1 orange
• Pinch fresh grated nutmeg
• ½ Butternut squash, thinly sliced and par boiled for 2 minutes
• 4 x 6oz / 175g cod fillets skin on, pin boned (each at least 1in / 2.5cm thick)
• 1 egg yolk, beaten
• 4 small vines cherry tomatoes (about 8 on each one)
• About 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
Preheat the oven 200C/400F/Gas 6. Melt the butter in a small pan or in the microwave and leave to cool. Place the bread in a food processor or liquidiser and whiz to fine crumbs. Tip into a bowl and stir the cooled butter, herbs, orange rind and nutmeg and mix well to combine.
Arrange the butternut squash slices in four groups on a baking sheet and place the cod fillets on top, skin-side down and brush over the egg yolk.
Divide the flavoured crumbs on top of the cod fillets and then spread them out, pressing them down firmly to stick. Arrange the tomatoe vines around the crusted cod fillets and drizzle each one with a little of the oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cod is cooked through and the crumbs are crisp and golden, and the tomatoes have softened and are lightly charred.
Using a fish slice, transfer the crusted cod fillets and butternut squash slices on to warmed serving plates. Add a vine of the roasted cherry tomatoes to each plate and enjoy