Wednesday 18 October 2017

Mum who slept as toddler drank poisonous plant food is spared jail

Amy Murphy

A MOTHER whose neglected two-year-old son died a prolonged and horrible death after drinking poisonous plant food walked free from court today.



Lauren Booth, 24, was growing cannabis in her home in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, and was asleep when her son Aaron drank the toxic liquid.

She was handed a 12-month suspended sentence at Bradford Crown Court today after being found guilty of child neglect.

Aaron had not been fed and was probably extremely hungry and thirsty when he drank the liquid, the trial heard.

He died 11 days later after his windpipe disintegrated and suffered several other injuries, including burns to his stomach, pancreas and spleen.

Judge Colin Burn described the toddler's death as terrible as he sentenced Booth.

He said: "Aaron's death was, on the evidence, a prolonged and frankly horrible one. And it was preventable."

Press Association

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in Life