The Weekly Read: Sixteen things that make you a true Irish college student
Published 18/03/2014 | 11:48
While we may have some friendly rivalry about which college is superior – country vs city, big vs small, ITs vs universities – there are some universal truths of being an Irish student we can all fondly agree on.
So here are 20 facts you may recognise if you were or are an Irish college student.
1. You schedule your classes and day around sleep habits and soap operas especially Home and Away.
2. Meals stop having different names and just become different times of the day when you eat chicken fillet rolls or Koka noodles.
3. Dinner at home with your family has now become sacred.
4. A typical journey home includes a bag of dirty washing.
5. You have gone on a J1 and at least 90 per cent of your stories in the following years involved “this one time in San Diego, New York, San Fran etc.”
6. The societies you joined during Freshers week directly related to the amount free stuff on offer.
7. This also applied to your student bank account of choice.
8. You have been to a traffic light ball.
9. And a county colours night; for many buying/borrowing a jersey for the occasion was the extent of their dedication to their local club.
10. You now spend your Saturday nights staying in simply because you're broke from partying during the week.
11. Wikipedia is your best friend and nothing your lecturer says is going to change this.
12. It takes a lot of mental and physical preparation to even think about tackling the bins.
13. You have at least one traffic cone/construction sign/trolley/item 'borrowed from Eddie Rockets' somewhere in your house.
14. You don’t bat an eyelid at the random stranger you pass in your apartment hall.
15. Assignment time usually coincides with your house becoming really clean in a bid to avoid college work.
16. You have frequently tested the limits of human capability — for example, how long a person can survive on a diet of coffee and noodles or how many days you can go without sleep.
With thanks to campus.ie