Thursday 8 December 2016

Autistic boy sues department

Tim Healy

Published 16/03/2010 | 05:00

A NINE-year-old autistic boy who lost special-needs facilities when he was transferred from one school to another, wants the Department of Education to fund similar equipment in his new school.

  • Go To

The High Court yesterday gave permission to the boy, who is suing through his father, to bring judicial-review proceedings.

The boy had to transfer to a nearby school, along with the other boys in his school.

He had a room in his old school that was fully equipped with special-needs facilities which had been installed at a cost of around €41,000.

Senior counsel Peter Finlay said his new school was not equipped with such facilities.

The department initially agreed to provide €6,500 towards the cost, said counsel, and later increased that to €17,693 but it still fell well short of the actual cost.

"His only crime is that he is not a girl," added Mr Finlay, because only boys had to transfer to the new school.

Mr Justice Michael Peart granted leave for the boy to seek declarations that he was entitled to appropriate facilities at his new school.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Life