The 30 things that will make you a great dad, according to kids
Children can often be the world’s harshest critics and a new study has revealed just what they’re seeking in the ideal dad.
The long list of requirements needed to secure dad perfection rates kindness and hardworking as the most sought after qualities in a dad, but fathers must also have a good humour to boot, according to the research.
Unfortunately for the try-hard Daddies, just 50pc of children consider their dad perfect, and just four out of ten felt their dad ‘tries his best’ to fulfil all of his fatherly duties.
The research, conducted by Braun, surveyed more than 1,500 children between the ages of five and 18 to scope out their thoughts on the makings of a great dad.
Dad perfection is a hard standard to reach, as children not only expect their dad to be comfortable being the butt of all family jokes, but their old man must also be able to act ‘cool’ with their friends, and be generally stylish.
30 things that make a good dad according to children
1) Makes you feel special and loved
2) Is hard working
3) Helps with homework
4) Is patient and kind
5) Spends more time with family than mates
6) Gives great hugs
7) Stays calm
8) Treats mum with respect
9) Is not embarrassed to say ‘I love you’
10) Is cool with your friends
11) Tells good jokes
12) Is a safe driver
13) Teaches you to ride a bike
14) Able to join in sports games
15) Doesn’t dress embarrassingly
16) Never undermines mum
17) Sets a great example in all things
18) Shares all responsibilities
19) Reads bedtime stories
20) Is happy to be the butt of family jokes
21) Teaches you how to be good with money
22) Cooks up a great barbecue
23) Can put up a shelf
24) Gives regular kisses
25) Always on the other end of the phone
26) Plays football with you
27) Can change a tyre
28) Is not over-protective
29) Can get to locations without using satnav
30) Can cook the perfect steak
Read more: 11 things no one admits about being a Dad