Beauty...go with the glow
Combine your beauty products with a step-by-step routine to ensure your skin is picture-perfect for the big day
Published 25/07/2015 | 01:00
Do you find yourself stressing out about your skin coming up to your wedding day? Are you eager to pull off the 'natural' look? Well, worry no more, because we've asked Alison Best of Irish skincare brand Skinician to show us how to get the most out of our products for glowing skin like Poppy Delevingne.
"It's essential to get the order of application correct," explains Alison. "If you put a serum over a moisturiser it will not absorb but instead be wasted. A serum needs to be used next to the skin for maximum effect. Skinician's Advanced Anti-Age Serum, €55, will absorb to the base of the epidermis and protect the healthy skin cells as they rise up through the layers of the skin."
Think of good skincare in the way you would winter dressing: it's about layering. However, there is no definitive number of products that should be used every single morning. Age, according to Alison, can determine how many products we need.
"For example, a teenager wouldn't need to use an eye cream or a serum. I wouldn't say there is a definite age at which you should start using an eye cream or serum but you need to consider when ageing becomes a concern for you, and remember this can happen sooner for someone who has abused their skin through their teenage years by smoking or sunbathing versus someone who has used an SPF and maintained a healthy lifestyle."
Dos and Don'ts
● Do not use wipes. They do not cleanse the skin appropriately.
● Alison Best likes to use an exfoliating product without grains. Any that incorporate gentle hydroxy acids will work deeper into the skin.
● If you have been prescribed a topical treatment for acne etc, always apply this first, before any serum or moisturiser.
● We're aware that there's a temptation to skip toner, but it's a very important step, as it balances the PH of the skin after cleansing and removes any product residue.
● Never skip moisturiser. Contrary to popular opinion, dehydrated skin can cause breakouts too. Also, moisturiser locks in your facial serum.
● According to Alison, a minimum of SPF15 is essential for every person every day as UVA rays can affect us all year-round, even when there are clouds in the sky. And if you are not leaving the house, UVA can still damage the skin through windows.
● Allow a minute or two between applying serum and moisturiser.
● Allow at least two minutes before applying make-up post-moisturising.
● If you want to apply a daily facial oil, do so after your cream products, and only pat a tiny amount into specifically dry areas.
The Diamond pre-wedding package at Derma Clinic, Blackrock, Dublin, includes three peels or microdermabrasion treatments, three skin-tightening or photorejuvenation treatments and a Jan Marini Skin Care Management System for €900. See dermaclinic.ie
How to adopt the perfect skincare routine
A step-by-step guide with Alison Best
1. Start by double cleansing with a product that is appropriate for your skin.
2. Exfoliate, again using a product that is specific to your skin type. I like to use an exfoliating product without grains or 'bits'. Also, any products that incorporate gentle hydroxy acids will work deeper into the skin and give a more luminous complexion - my current favourite is Skinician's Pro-Radiance Enzyme Peel, €31.50. You should ONLY exfoliate twice a week.
3. Post exfoliation, apply a mask to your skin twice a week. Invest in a product that will tackle your main skin concerns. If you're suffering from breakouts, opt for a purifying mask.
4. Once you have washed off your mask, or if it's a day when you've just double cleansed, apply a good toner to the skin. Toners rebalance the skin. Some toners can even go further: Skinician's Purifying Toner (RRP €18.40) regulates sebum production and can be used over make-up to mattify the appearance of the skin.
5. Next, apply your serum.
6. Moisturiser, preferably with a high spectrum SPF, comes next.
7. If you have a specific face SPF, now is the time to apply it.
These steps apply regardless of your skin type.
Perfect Skin Toolkit
Pro-Radiance Enzyme Peel, €31.50, Skinician, available in Harvey Nichols and selected salons nationwide
With its luxurious blend of AHAs and BHAs, it leaves skin feeling radiant and preps the skin to better absorb the products that come next.
Activated Sun Protector for Face with SPF50, €32, Kiehl's, available in Kiehl's boutiques nationwide.
Light and silky in texture, but with powerful sun protection, this is everything you want from a facial sunscreen.
Purifying Toner, €18.40, Skinician, available in Harvey Nichols and selected salons nationwide
Regulates the acid mantle of the skin, removes any residue left from your double cleanse and if your skin is oily, this will mattify it.
Mission Perfection Serum, €60, Clarins, available nationwide.
Corrects dark spots and other pigmentation disorders, promotes radiance and dramatically evens skin tone: this product really is a miracle potion.