Young mother killed in front of children was strangled - post mortem
A YOUNG mother who was killed in front of her two young children was strangled, initial post mortem results have revealed.
The Sunday Independent has also learned that Polish national Aleksandra Sarzynska, 32, was due to become an Irish citizen later this month.
Ms Sarzynska’s sons, sons aged six months and three years of age, are now being cared for by members of her family.
Gardai today questioned a man, also of Polish origin, about the killing at the Bective House apartments in Beaufort Place in Navan at around 6pm yesterday.
Neighbours heard loud banging noises coming from Ms Sarzynska’s apartment at around tea-time. Then a man living next door heard loud knocking at his front door and admitted a man who was bleeding heavily from a wound to his forehead.
The neighbour said this man, who he knew to speak to, “ran” into his apartment and threw himself on the sofa. He asked the owner of the apartment to call an ambulance and then began talking to himself in Polish. He gave the man a towel to staunch his head wound which, gardai believe, was self-inflicted.
The neighbour knew the man, who was barefoot, and became concerned for Ms Sarzyhska and her children. The door to their apartment was closed and the neighbour was unable to gain entry. Gardai arrived shortly after and broke down the door to find Ms Sarzynska already dead. Her children were unhurt though distressed.
The ambulance took the injured man to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda accompanied by gardai. He was treated and then taken into custody earlier today.
Another neighbour today said Ms Sarzynska and her family had been living in the apartment for about two years.
It is understood relatives arrived on yesterday evening and took care of Mrs Sarzynska’s two boys.
Beaufort Place is a quiet residential area.
Residents who gathered outside the apartment block where Ms Sarzynska lived said they were shocked at the killing.
Navan Fianna Fail councillor Tommy Reilly, said: “It's an awful tragedy in the town. My sympathies go out to the woman's family and her children."
Padraig Fitzsimons, another Fianna Fail councillor in Navan, described Beaufort Place as a "lovely residential area".
"There is no history of any trouble there. It's a very settled residential area. You couldn't ask for better in the town. We're really shocked, especially in the area it's in. It's desperate for a young family."
The post mortem was carried out earlier today after forensic examination of the murder scene was completed by scenes of crimes gardai. While further tests still have to be carried out, sources said the cause of death was strangulation.
Gardai have in contact with the Director of Public Prosecutions throughout the today. It is expected the suspect will be brought to court within days.
Investigating officers asked anyone with information about the killing to contact Navan Garda Station on 046 9036100, the Garda confidential line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.