News Irish News

Friday 22 September 2017

Workers block motorway site over payment claims

Barry Duggan

Sub-contractors who claim they are owed millions used heavy machinery to blockade construction site entrances to the final stretch of the M7 motorway yesterday.

Fears are growing that the opening of the final 36km stretch of the M7, between Nenagh and Castletown, which is due to be completed and opened before the end of the year, could be delayed as a result of the row.

Bowen-Somague JV were awarded the Laois County Council contract to complete the final phase of the motorway in April 2008.

While those involved in the dispute did not want to be identified, they claimed that millions of euro was still outstanding to several sub-contractors from Bowen-Somague JV.

"We are looking for a meeting between the contractors, sub-contractors and supplies.

"There are a lot of local businesses affected by this. We have to work this out immediately so that the road can be opened as soon as possible," local Tipperary councillor Seamus Morris said.

The National Roads Authority (NRA) said "no definitive date" has been set for the opening of the final phase of the motorway, but it had been hoped to do in November/December.

The NRA said it was not party to any dispute between contractors and workers on site.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News