Thursday 27 October 2016

Workers at Navan 999 emergency call centre will take part in a 12-hour work stoppage tomorrow

Published 24/02/2016 | 11:49

File photo
File photo

Workers at Navan 999 emergency call centre will take part in a 12-hour work stoppage tomorrow.

  • Go To

The Communications Workers' Union (CWU) which represents workers at the call centre has confirmed the industrial action will take place between 8am and 8pm. 

Centres in Dublin and Ballyshannon are expected to operate as normal and take excess calls from Navan.

"In limiting the industrial action to just one of the three call centres, members of the CWU have taken measures to ensure that this industrial action does not impact on vital emergency call answering services and services to the public from front line responders," a spokesperson said.

The CWU says the action will take place as a direct consequence of a ballot of members within the 999 call service sector which took place earlier this month.

Some 84pc of members who cast their votes opted in favour of industrial action in a row over pay and working conditions.

The union claims call centre operator BT/Conduit has stepped up employee engagement as a result of the threat of industrial action but have failed to respond adequately to the claims put before them.

Commenting on the action CWU General Secretary Steve Fitzpatrick, said: “The CWU has been clear from the outset that we remain open to talks with BT/Conduit to address our members’ demands including their right to dignity and respect at their workplace.

"BT/Conduit have responded with a calculated and insincere love bombing of their workers with loads of one-to-one chats and group therapy but absolutely nothing that addresses the claims at the heart of this dispute. Regrettably, the work stoppage will go ahead this Thursday.”

“Unsurprisingly, the companies that brought us the toilet break policy seem to be incapable of comprehending demands for basic respect, a living wage and the freedom of workers to choose who should represent them," he continued.

"The level of public support for these workers and their issues has given them a huge boost in their pursuit of decency and respect. Our mandate allows us extend industrial action if BT/Conduit continue to ignore the claims before them. We are considering our options for further action in the face of BT/Conduit’s intransigence and refusal to engage.”   

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News