News Irish News

Friday 9 December 2016

Woman left seriously ill by breast op 'relieved' as surgeon is struck off

Doctor found guilty of misconduct by Medical Council

Edel O'Connell

Published 26/07/2011 | 07:41

A WOMAN who became gravely ill following a breast augmentation procedure spoke last night of her relief after her plastic surgeon was struck off the Medical Register.

  • Go To

Italian plastic surgeon Marco Loiacono (35) was struck off yesterday following a Medical Council recommendation in May of this year.

A fitness-to-practise committee had found Dr Loiacono guilty of misconduct on a number of charges in relation to his treatment of Kate Murray (26), of Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin.

The committee found Dr Loiacono failed to provide Ms Murray with adequate post-operative care.

Ms Murray developed a severe infection in both breasts and became seriously ill following the procedure carried out by the surgeon on March 15, 2008, at the Cosmedico Clinic in Kilmacanogue, Co Wicklow.

A few days after the procedure, she began to suffer severe pain and oozing of fluid from her wounds, and made repeated visits to the clinic before the implants were removed on March 31.

Ms Murray, who is now living in London, spent four weeks in hospital and underwent nine procedures under general anaesthetic, including skin grafting. She has been left with severe scarring running along the sides of her breasts.

High Court president Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns yesterday confirmed the Medical Council recommendation that Dr Loiacono be removed from the register. The surgeon, who is now believed to be working at a cosmetic surgery clinic in Italy, did not appear in court.

NEGLIGENCE

The hearing comes just two weeks after the doctor was at the centre of separate High Court proceedings in relation to another case of alleged medical negligence against him.

Mother-of-two Louise McCormack (32), from Swords, Co Dublin, told the court she had been left in agony after the surgeon carried out her augmentation surgery in 2006 in the Advanced Cosmetic Surgery clinic.

Overall, the surgeon has been named in 10 High Court actions brought due to alleged medical negligence since 2008.

Speaking to the Irish Independent last night, Ms Murray said she was absolutely "over the moon" that the doctor had finally been struck off.

Ms Murray, who is facing another round of reconstructive surgery on Wednesday, August 17, at St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin, said the ordeal had "consumed" three years of her life.

"It has already taken up three years and is ongoing. It was very frustrating, especially for the first year-and-a-half, to know he was working at home in Ireland, and then obviously he moved and I know now he is still working in Italy," she said.

Ms Murray is now taking a claim for damages against Dr Loiacono.

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News