Saturday 20 December 2014

Woman had multi-organ failure after taking MDMA

Gareth Naughton

Published 19/08/2014 | 02:30

The ambulance was on the way to St James' Hospital Dublin
The ambulance was on the way to St James' Hospital Dublin

A young woman who suddenly collapsed in a Dublin pub had taken ecstasy and cocaine, an inquest heard

Olivia Beirne (29) from Glenville Road in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15, died at St James's Hospital on July 2 last year, three days after she suffered a cardiac event at Hogan's on George's Street in the south city centre. Dublin Coroner's Court heard that she was drinking with friends at the pub at around 9pm on Sunday June 30 when she collapsed. Witness Lynnette Cullen told the court that they were "having a laugh" when the incident happened.

Hogan's bar manager Ian Gleeson assisted Ms Cullen in performing CPR until paramedics arrived at the scene. CPR continued and Ms Beirne was taken to St James's Hospital with spontaneous circulation re-established. However, she never regained consciousness and died in the afternoon.

The inquest heard from her friend Lesley McSweeney that she saw Ms Beirne taking MDMA - or ecstasy - in powder form earlier on the day of her collapse. At post-mortem the cause of death was given as multi-organ failure due to the effects of multi-drug toxicity. Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said a toxicology screen of a blood sample taken on admission to hospital showed that she had taken MDMA - or ecstasy - and cocaine.

He returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News