News Irish News

Saturday 21 October 2017

Woman found dead

GARDAI have launched an investigation after a mother of three was found dead in an apartment 30km from her home. The body of Frances Barret (39) was taken from a flat in Lower Main Street in Letterkenny, Co Donegal.

Mrs Barret, who lived in Kerrykeel, was pronounced dead at the scene on Saturday. Garda forensic teams spent the weekend examining the flat. Gardai said it was too early to say how Mrs Barret died. A post-mortem will take place at Letterkenny General Hospital today.

Boost for Lily-Mae

'TINY Dancer' Lily-Mae Morrison's battle against cancer has been boosted after she was accepted for specialist radiotherapy treatment in London. Lily-Mae (4) who captured the nation's hearts last Christmas with charity single 'Tiny Dancer', has been in quarantine in her home in Galway for the past month following treatment.

But doctors in Crumlin have given the go-ahead for Lily-Mae to travel for radiotherapy. Mum Judith Sibley said: "It's great that Lily-Mae has been accepted on this programme."

Old ship washes up

THE remnants of an 18th century ship have appeared on a west of Ireland beach.

The 'butter boat', probably used to ferry goods between Sligo and Scotland in the 1700s, made a dramatic reappearance at the weekend on Streedagh Strand in north Co Sligo.

Company to hire 100

A CONTACT centre company founded with nine employees less than two years ago is continuing to flourish and aims to recruit another 100 employees at a jobs fair today and tomorrow.

Eishtec was founded in May 2011 and hit the headlines last year by creating 250 new jobs at its base in Cleaboy, Waterford, after landing a contract with UK giant Orange. Further success has led to today's jobs fair when 100 permanent staff will be recruited at the Theatre Royal in Waterford.

'I was hacked' – Bird

RTE's former chief reporter Charlie Bird has revealed he is convinced his phone was hacked at the height of the National Irish Bank scandal. The gardai investigated a complaint that the phones of the former RTE star and his colleague George Lee were being tapped in 1998 but the Minister for Justice John O'Donoghue later reported to the Dail that they were not under surveillance.

But the veteran reporter said in an interview on Today FM that he now believes his mobile phone was not tapped but hacked in 1998.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News