Woman death probe
Published 12/03/2014 | 02:30
GARDAI have launched an investigation into the care provided to an elderly woman who died last month.
A garda spokesman confirmed that they were alerted by medical staff who were concerned about the woman's condition on her admission to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda. It is understood the woman was underweight and had a number of bedsores. It is also understood the woman had been living with a family member and was not in a nursing home.
PRIEST REVEALS PAIN
A PARISH priest cleared of indecent assault allegations initially made four years ago spoke last night of his "painful journey" after finally being told he can say Mass in public again.
Father Eugene Boland was cleared of five charges in July 2012, two years after being forced to step down from his role in the parish of Cappagh, Co Tyrone.
D'ARCY DUE FOR RELEASE
Margaretta D'Arcy is due for release at the end of next week from her incarceration arising from her refusal to sign a bond requiring her to uphold the law and keep away from unauthorised zones at Shannon airport.
The 79-year old yesterday travelled from Dochas women's prison in Dublin to appear at Ennis District Court where she failed in her opposition to an application by the State to amend the wording of the charge against her in relation to an alleged illegal incursion at Shannon airport.
FUND HONOURS BIDEN
TAOISEACH Enda Kenny will give this year's keynote address when The American Ireland Fund honours US Vice President Joe Biden.
The Fund will host its 22nd annual national Gala tomorrow in Washington when Mr Biden will be presented with the organisation's peace award. "We are delighted to recognise the enormous contributions vice president Biden has made to the welfare of Ireland," said Ireland Fund CEO Kieran McLoughlin.
CRASH DRIVER GUILTY
A MAN will be sentenced this week for causing the deaths of two baby sisters in a road collision 18 months ago.
Two-year-old Kate Gilmore and her 12-week-old sister Grace died following a collision on the N17 in Tuam, on Sunday October 21, 2012.
John O'Connor (41), with an address at Waterslade Downs, Tuam, appeared before Galway Circuit Criminal Court yesterday. He pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at the Demesne, Tuam, on October 21, 2012, which caused the deaths of Kate and Grace Gilmore. Sentencing in the case has been adjourned to this Friday.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie