Woman (95) dies in Longford housefire
Grandson raised the alarm
A 95-year-old woman has died in a house fire in Co Longford this morning.
The elderly woman from Barry on the Longford/Westmeath border is understood to have died from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the bedroom of her home shortly after 3am this morning.
Her grandson, who had been staying in the house overnight raised the alarm. He rushed to his grandmother's aid along with neighbours but the elderly lady was unconscious when she was removed from the house.
Fire services from Ballymahon and Lanesboro were called to the scene and the blaze was extinguished shortly after 3am.
The deceased woman had been living in the family home with her son. However, he was out of the country on business when the incident occurred. He was informed of his mother's death this morning.
"Her son was there with his mother all the time but his son stepped in to stay while his father was away. They believe the fire started in her bedroom, they tried to get to her but by the time they did it was too late. They did their best but she was an elderly woman," said one local.
The elderly woman also has a daughter who lived in Galway. Her husband had passed away some years ago.
The elderly woman was today remembered by friends as a lovely woman who enjoyed chatting about horses.
"She was a lovely lady, very jolly, very knowledgeable. She was a great woman to talk to about any range of things but she loved the horses, she came from a long farming trade," said Fianna Fáil councillor Barney Steele who knew the family.
She had been due to attend the Convent House Day Care Centre today. She attended the centre twice a week where she was very popular with staff and clients alike.
Mr Steele, who is a director and founding member of the centre added that she would be sadly missed there.
"We have all been shocked by this news. This lovely lady was part and parcel of our centre and she will be missed. I want to pass on my sincere sympathies to the family," he added.