Thursday 19 January 2017

Wife-killer McArdle to finally face prison as European arrest warrant issued

Tom Worden in Barcelona

Published 26/12/2010 | 05:00

WIFE-killer Dermot McArdle may be arrested and brought back to Spain after a judge threw out his latest bid to escape jail.

  • Go To

A court in Malaga has issued a European arrest warrant instructing gardai to detain the father-of-three at his home in Heynestown, Dundalk.

Spanish officials said the arrest was being delayed by Irish bureaucrats, who have insisted the Department of Justice becomes involved in the execution of the warrant.

McArdle, 41, is due to serve two years in a Spanish prison for the manslaughter of his wife, Kelly Ann Corcoran, in 2000.

He has launched a series of complicated legal appeals in an attempt to stay out of prison.

His latest move was to apply to keep his freedom while Spain's constitutional court decides whether or not to hear his appeal against his conviction.

But Judge Fernando Gonzalez, who sits in Malaga, last week ruled McArdle must begin his sentence immediately.

A source at the Malaga court said last night: "McArdle could now be arrested at any moment.

"The judge has rejected his attempt to stay out of jail while the constitutional court decides on whether or not to admit the appeal.

"The normal procedure is that Interpol in Spain contacts their Dublin office, who pass the European arrest warrant on to Irish police.

"The only thing holding up his arrest is that the Irish authorities have asked for the warrant to be sent to the Department of Justice rather than through Interpol."

Ms Corcoran, 29, died two days after falling from room 421 of Marbella's five-star Melia Don Pepe Hotel after arguing with her husband.

McArdle was convicted of her manslaughter in October 2008, jailed for two years and ordered to pay his two sons by Ms Corcoran, Mark and Paul, €60,000 each for the loss of their mother.

He was also ordered to pay her grieving parents, Ted and Bridie, €100,000.

Until now, he has not paid a single cent in compensation, which was a factor in Judge Gonzalez's decision not to suspend his two-year service.

Sunday Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News