Thursday 18 December 2014

What it says in the papers

Freya Drohan

Published 30/07/2014 | 08:08

The main story in the Irish Independent is the shock seizure of the O’Flynn Construction Group.

Developer Michael O’Flynn is said to be in “complete shock” after US investment company Blackstone- the biggest property firm in the world- seized control of his group.

RTÉ broadcaster Sean O’Rourke has ruled out a return to television.

Sean (58) said he is happy to stick to the airwaves.

Billionaire JP McManus has donated €1 million to help pay for a new sports project in Kerry.

The Kerry Sports Academy is a joint venture between the GAA and the Institute of Technology Tralee, and will cost €15 million.

A former NAMA employee has been charged with 13 counts of disclosing confidential information about businesses of prominent property investors.

Enda Farrell (38) was bailed to appear in court again in two months.

In The Herald, Minister for Health Leo Varadkar has said the former Department of Justice secretary Brian Purcell may keep his €185,000 salary despite standing aside from his senior position.

Varadkar says that he imagines Mr Purcell has “contractual rights” but declined to comment further saying it was a matter for Minister Fitzgerald to comment on.

The paper also reports  that  jailed politician Ivor Callely is facing a fresh court battle after High Court proceedings were initiated which could restrict his ability to sell or transfer property.

Investec, which secured an €11m judgement against the former Junior Minister last year, has initiated new proceedings against Callely and his wife Jennifer.

The disgraced politician has just spent his second day behind bars, after he was jailed for expenses fraud.

On the front page of the Irish Daily Star, wife-killer Joe O’Reilly is seeking to have his conviction declared a miscarriage of justice.

O’Reilly (41) will argue that because the book of evidence  was left in the jury room during his trial, it implies the judge at his original trial was wrong.

A 29-year-old man who is brain damaged and confined to a wheel chair has settled his action against a hospital for €2.5 million.

Eoin Harte from Co Carlow, who has cerebral palsy, sued the St James’s Hospital through his mother for alleged negligence during his birth in July 1985.

The paper also reports that Martin Comney, whose conviction for murdering Una Lynskey in 1971 was yesterday declared a miscarriage of justice, should be entitled to compensation.

Legal experts predict that Mr Conmey (who spent three years in jail) could get up to €4 million compensation.

The front page of The Irish Times claims that Minister for Jobs Richard Bruton will unveil a new policy initiative today, which will focus on creating 7,000 jobs a year until 2020.

One of the key elements of the plan is a commitment to retaining the 12.5% corporation tax rate and a focus on reform of the international tax system to help encourage continuing foreign direct investment.

The Irish Daily Mail reports that it costs €1,000 a year to send a child to school.

Barnardos, parents groups and politicians are demanding cuts to the barrage of extra costs that families will face as they prepare to send their children back to school in a few weeks time.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News