Irish front-pages are dominated with the €742k secret pension deal for ex-CRC chief Paul Kiely.
1. ‘€742k cover-up’ reads the Irish Independent with the main points reading, ‘Board sanctioned sexcret pension deal for ex-CRC chief’, ‘Gardai may be called in to investigate Kiely payments’ and ‘Dail committee forensically get to truth of top-ups’. ‘A Slap in the face’, reads the front page of the Herald. ‘CRC may face probe in face of top-ups scandal’, the Irish Examiner reads, ‘CRC chiefs face Garda inquiry’ reads the Irish Daily Mail and the Irish Times leads with ‘HSE takes legal advice on payments to former head of CRC’. The story also features on the front page of The Irish Daily Mirror, headlined, ‘CRC may face fraud probe in face of scandal’.
2. ‘Wanted: PhD grad to work for €50’ reads the front of the Irish Independent as two different companies in Ireland have advertised internships as part of the Government’s Job-Bridge initiative, but only want highly-qualified staff.
3. In an interesting story in this morning’s Irish Times, ‘Rebel denied a pension because she was a woman’ tells the story of how Margaret Skinnider who was shot and wounded when in command of five men during Easter Week was denied a pension because she was female. And there are more of those stories to come from the Military Pensions Archive which has just been opened to the public.
4. Coronation Street actor Bill Roache’s rape trial still takes the front pages of both the Irish Daily Star and the Irish Daily Mirror. ‘Ken ‘raped’ girl weeks after wife gave birth’, reads the Irish Daily Star while the Irish Daily Mirror leads with, ‘Corrie Ken ‘raped a virgin aged 15’.
5. Also in world news this morning, the majority of newspapers are reporting on the mystery of three-year-old Scottish boy Mikaeel Kular who vanished from his Edinburgh home on Wednesday morning. Search parties are in full swing for the little boy who is said to be wearing his dinosaur pyjamas, brown shoes and coat.
6. In entertainment news, yesterday’s Oscars nominations also feature in today’s papers as Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender is nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in ’12 Years A Slave’. Michael Fassbender also features on the front page of today’s Irish Sun, this time with his new girlfriend, model Madalina Ghenea. Rumours that the Kerryman was romantically linked with the Romanian model were confirmed this week as they were spotted in Milan together.
7. Rugby leads the sports pages on the Irish Independent today with the headline reading, ‘Toulon step up Heaslip chase – French giants raise offer to lure Leinster star after O’Brien’s rejects €600,000 a year’.