Monday 5 December 2016

'We've had no peace of mind for more than two years'

Published 18/10/2011 | 05:00

FOR widow and grandmother Collette Lynch, the stress of not knowing what would happen to her Priory Hall home was too much last night.

  • Go To

She broke down in tears as she packed to leave the Donaghmede development in Dublin last night.

Ms Lynch lives there with her three sons, aged 22, 23 and 30. Yesterday, they were among the 249 people getting ready to vacate their homes.

She explained how she recently received a letter from the management company assuring her that everything was okay with the development.

"I've been living here a year-and-a-half in a two-bedroom apartment. I got a letter from the landlord the other day asking that I don't listen to the rumours," she said.

She claimed that two days before receiving the letter, she paid €925 in rent, which she fears she will never see again.

She told the Irish Independent that she was also concerned about the deposit she paid for the apartment and claimed there were consistent defects.

Flooded

"The balcony is very shaky. The grandkids used to play on it but I don't let them play out there any more," she said.

"The place was flooded a few times and then the bathroom flooded another time."

Last night, she had not yet been contacted by the council with regard to the availability of accommodation in the Regency Hotel.

Another resident, who didn't want to be named, said she was a single mother with a six-year-old daughter that went to school in the area.

"If they're taking us to the Regency, how am I going to get my child to school? I don't have a car," she said.

Although the deadline for vacating the premises was moved from yesterday to Thursday, many residents had already made arrangements to move. Removal vans came and left all day as a fire engine sat at the end of the road.

Liam Boland, who bought an apartment in Priory Hall in March 2009, was furious with the outcome of the case.

"I don't have children, but God help people who have," he said. "It's been an absolute nightmare; we've had no peace of mind for the past two-and-a-half years and we're paying a mortgage on sub-standard properties and the banks don't want to know either."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News