Westlife ditch the Late Late in favour of X Factor
Published 13/11/2010 | 05:00
Westlife were forced to pull out of an appearance on the 'Late Late Show' last night after pressure from 'The X Factor'.
The boyband had been due to debut their new single 'Safe' on the RTE programme and then travel to the UK today to perform the same song on 'The X Factor' results show tomorrow night.
A Westlife source said that the band had given in to pressure from 'The X Factor' due to the reach of the of ITV show and its importance in achieving chart success.
Kian Egan revealed yesterday: "The 'Late Late' slot had been set up months in advance. It's the first show we go on every time we release an album.
"Our manager Louis Walsh rang this week and said we couldn't do the 'Late Late Show'. He had been informed by the 'X Factor' people that they wanted a 'world exclusive' on our single. They didn't even want us performing the song on an Irish TV show.
"We were told they were considering replacing us if we went ahead with the 'Late Late Show' so we had to pull it. We had no other option."
Sunday's 'X Factor' live show will be one of the biggest so far, featuring a guest performance from former 'X Factor' finalists JLS, along with the reformed Take That.
While Take That will receive top billing on the programme, Kian said Westlife would be using fire and pyrotechnics to stage a live spectacular.
"It's an epic performance and we're pulling out the stops on every front to make it memorable," he said, as Westlife announced a fourth date in the O2 in Dublin for April 9, 2011.
He added the band had offered advice to 'X Factor' Irish performer Mary Byrne after her disappointing performance last week, telling her everyone could "have a bad night".