Monday 26 September 2016

'We have nowhere to go and hardly sleep at night'

Greg Harkin

Published 02/10/2015 | 02:30

Joe Quinn and his daughters Olivia (3) and Hayley (2) at their home at Riverwalk Court in Ratoath, Co Meath. Photo: Arthur Carron
Joe Quinn and his daughters Olivia (3) and Hayley (2) at their home at Riverwalk Court in Ratoath, Co Meath. Photo: Arthur Carron

Residents of another apartment block found to be a fire hazard will meet with council officials today to demand that they sue the developer for the costs of carrying out repairs.

  • Go To

Work is under way at Riverwalk Court in Ratoath, Co Meath, to replace timbers following a damp diagnosis.

However, a legal row has ensued over who should pay to make the apartments safe from fire.

Mark Fitzmaurice said: "Three years ago, we received an expert report which warned that the apartments were unsafe, a fire hazard. I went to my tenants that day to tell them to move out."

He defaulted on the mortgage but remained on the management and residents committee.

Mr Fitzmaurice said there had been "no breakthrough" with Meath County Council.

Joe Quinn (50), his wife Charlotte and three children Jessica (17), Olivia (3) and Hayley (2), continue to live in their two-bedroom apartment.

"It has been a living nightmare," said Mr Quinn, who paid €250,000 for the property in 2005.

"But we have nowhere else to go. We hardly sleep at night."

The council ordered a report from developers Saltan Properties Limited in June this year, however it has yet to receive this.

The company, which is owned by developer Michael Ryan, did not respond to queries from the Irish Independent.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News