Tuesday 19 September 2017

We have made major changes, says chief

Caroline Crawford

Caroline Crawford

THE clinical director of University Hospital Galway has insisted it has implemented "significant" changes to ensure no other woman dies in similar circumstances to Savita Halappanavar.

Dr Patrick Nash, who was also the commissioner of the inquiry, accepted that it was clear from the report that there were failures in the standard of care provided to Ms Halappanavar in the hospital.

However, he said no decisions had been taken on any potential disciplinary action and all investigations into the death would have to be completed before any issues would be considered by the hospital board.

He said the hospital had already undertaken significant improvements including;

* The implementation of early warning scoring systems.

* The education of staff in dealing with sepsis and septic shock.

* The introduction of a new multi-disciplinary team-based training programme.

Dr Nash said the hospital had also improved its communications process and was implementing procedures for doctors' handovers.

He offered his apologies to Praveen Halappanavar and Savita's family for the events "related to his wife's care that contributed to her tragic death".

"Mr Halappanavar has stated that he does not want any other woman to go through what happened to his wife. The recommendations from this review will result in changes and improvements that will minimise the risk of this ever happening again in Ireland," he said.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News