Saturday 3 December 2016

WATCH: Dublin Fire Brigade show how a Christmas tree fire can destroy a room in just 46 seconds

Emergency services warn people of fire risks

Published 15/12/2015 | 07:42

A fire, most likely sparked by Christmas tree lights, destroys a living room (Photo: Dublin Fire Brigade)
A fire, most likely sparked by Christmas tree lights, destroys a living room (Photo: Dublin Fire Brigade)

Emergency services are warning people of the fire risks a Christmas tree can pose and have showed how a blaze can destroy a room in under 60 seconds.

  • Go To

Dublin Fire Brigade have shared frightening footage of a fire starting under a Christmas tree and filling the room with flames and smoke.

The house fire, most likely sparked by faulty Christmas tree lights, envelopes the living room in just 46 seconds.

They also shared images from a separate house fire where the remnants of the festive tree can be seen standing in the middle of the room.

The living room of the Dublin home  is destroyed and the plaster boards have been burnt off the structure's walls.

From outside the house, it is evident a number of rooms were destroyed in the blaze and the outside walls remain blackened after the flames.

"Trees are a great tradition but they can be dangerous," Dublin Fire Brigade warned.

"These pictures are from a house fire in Dublin last week. Notice the tree in the second picture. Be safe, stay safe," they added.

Those with Christmas trees are advised to keep the fairy lights in good condition and to replace them if there are concerns about the quality.

People are also advised to turn the lights off before they go to bed and to keep a real tree well watered to prevent a fire taking hold.

The Dublin Fire Brigade shared the safety tips as part of their #DFB12Days Christmas safety campaign on Twitter.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News